politics, history and the war on terror
Friday, May 07, 2004
Being President Means Always Having to Say You're Sorry 

During a press conference with Jordan's King Abdullah II, President Bush has finally given the media exactly what it was looking for, an apology:

"I was sorry for the humiliation suffered by the Iraqi prisoners and the humiliation suffered by their families. I assured him that Americans like me didn't appreciate what we saw, that it made us sick to our stomachs."

Now can the media shut up about this? The media's willingness to play useful idiot for our enemy by providing easy propaganda by demanding apologies from President Bush is sickening. Meanwhile, members of Congress, including Senator Kerry, are calling for the resignation of Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, despite the fact that the Pentagon initiated the investigation immediately after discovering problems in the Iraqi prison.

"I think he should have [retired] long ago. I think he should have and obviously I think he should now," Kerry told reporters during a campaign stop in California.

He also touted his leadership in the Navy during Vietnam to demonstrate his qualifications to command the military.

"When I was in the Navy, the captain of the boat was in charge, and the captain always took responsibility. I have a message for the men and women of our armed forces, as commander-in-chief, I'll honor your commitment and I'll take responsibility for the bad as well as the good. As president, I'll not be the last to know what is going on in my command."

Senator Kerry's demand for Secretary Rumsfeld's resignation based on the Abu Ghraib crimes is curious in light of his military history and past statements, including his testimony to the Congress (the Winter Soldier Investigation) and on NBC's "Meet the Press" in 1971:

I committed the same kind of atrocities as thousands of other soldiers have committed in that I took part in shootings in free-fire zones. I conducted harassment and interdiction fire. … I took part in search-and-destroy missions, in the burning of villages. All of this is contrary to the laws of warfare.”

Secretary Rumsfeld's Department of Defense recognizes a problem and works to bring justice to the guilty, and he should resign? Senator Kerry is a war criminal by his own admission, an officer schooled in the Geneva Conventions, and he did nothing to stop the 'atrocities' of his own men, contrary to his responsibilities as a commander. Not a single member of the Democratic leadership is calling for his resignation. Why is the media not screaming for an apology from Senator Kerry? How is an admitted war criminal and officer that shirked his duty qualified to be Commander in Chief?

Posted by bill roggio @ 12:02 AM

|